Monday, April 20, 2009
One sick week
Our family has been going through a stomach bug. most of my kids got it for a day or two and then they were fine. A typical stomach bug. Kalin on the other hand got super sick. she started throwing up on Tuesday. Every hour or sooner she was puking or having some nasty diaherra. She also had headaches and fevers as high as 104. Even on fever reducer it would only come down to a 101. so Wed. night I took her to St. Lukes because at this point I knew she was dehydrated. She also had not eaten anything but half a banana and was throwing up like she had full meals. So they gave her some zofran [nausea medicine] and gatorade and sent us home. So the next day she was on zofran and very little gatorade and got much worse. She was violently throwing up,her diaherra got much worse and she was becoming really weak and lathargic. So i took her to her doctor friday morning, basically we ruled it was one vicious tummy bug and she would eventully start to feel better. She prescribed her some fenergan, which is also nausea medicine, but will make you sleepy. So we came home and gave her the meds. She perked up a little and ate some dry kix. Well about an hour later she started throwing up so bad she couldn't breath. So, by this point I was getting really worried it was more than a virus so I took her to Conroe hospital. They took her back right away and ran some test. They of course admitted us and put us in a room. They gave her an IV. Well 24 hours later she only threw up once but looked much worse. She wouldn't even sit up in the bed. She had only had one wet diaper all day, not good when your being pumped with fluids. So they kept us another night. At this point they ruled out all bad things it could have been, it was truly a virus and she just was really, really sick. So they uped her fluids and gave her more zofran. About 10 min. after them changing her fluids she was smiling and pushing the buttons on the bed to make it go up and down. It made a huge difference she went from looking like she was on her death bed to looking a little sick. So the next day the sent us home, whih was yersterday. She's still getting better, but a least now she can keep stuff down so she can get completely well. I've never seen a tummy bug make someone that sick. I'm glad its allmost over. I am so hoping I don't get sick after all that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Our puppy Vanilla was sick like that last week!
I finally gave her gelsimium and she got better within a few minutes.
Thinking of Kalin, Ipecac would have worked.
I'm so glad she is feeling better!
Poor little thing. I can't believe she was so sick. I'm glad she is on the mend now.
Post a Comment