Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The three D's of Discipline

A long time ago a good friend of mine introduced me to a great way of knowing when to discipline. The three D's. If they are Defiant, Dishonest, or, Diobedient, it requires discipline to help them learn and grow in their character. We believe in spanking a child, not beating their is a huge difference, also do it in love, never in anger. Our goal is to teach and lead not scare the crap out of them. The older some of my children are getting the more spanking is not effective and now you must take a different route. Plus you know every child goes through certain stages of difiance at different ages. Like when they are between 2 and 3 everything is NO. It seems to also hit around 5 and 6 the let me see how far I can push you stage. Now my oldest he is 9 and me and him are about to go round and round on my merry go round! It won't be so merry though. Since we are a big family we have certain rules when we are out in public. First of all they have to walk in a line in the store. Their are many reasons for this, like we don't want to be all scattered all over the aisles, other people are shopping their is a lot of us, we need to stay together and be respectful of others. Most imnportant in my book, I have 2 eyes and 6 kids if they are in a "tight" line I can keep a better eye on them. When they walk its youngest to oldest the older help keep an eye on the younger I tell them don't ever let anyone break our line. And if someone does and trys to take someone they will all be screaming because they have all witnessed it, if we all are scattered we mat not see someone be taken. Anyway, it keeps us all together and taking care of one another. So last night I had to go to the store to get hamburger buns, I put them in a line, they did great they walked with me and were respectful of others, except for Mario. He kept trying to walk beside Maya and move her behind him, he would walk off to look at something else. Now I know he'e getting a little older, but he is being right out disobedient and telling me I can do what I want. He was mad at me the whole time because I wouldn't let him have his way. I swear when they get older they throw fits just like when they were 2. Anyway, me and his dad had a talk about what to do. So we have grounded him for 3 days from T.V. and while everyone else is watching a movie he has to write me an essay on why it is important to litsen to your parents. You should have seen his face. I think this may take good effect. O, and while I have my 9 year old pushing is me my 2 year has decided to use the word no for everything. This started like 2 days ago. It can be so exhausting being a parent, but I know it will be well worth it in the end.

2 comments:

supermomiwish said...

Those three D's sound familiar! Way to go for sticking to your guns. I don't know why our kids are born defiant. It's the most frustrating thing in the world. Stick with it and you'll be so glad you did!

Leah said...

We have threatened, and employed, putting the older rebellious children in the shopping cart.
There is nothing more humiliating for a 9 year old to have to sit in the shopping cart because he wouldn't obey.
Sure, it gets hard to turn the cart, but heck-I could use a bit more muscle in these arms!